Saturday, March 3, 2012

DIY Kindle Cover Tutorials: Sew, Glue Gun, and No-sew

I got a Kindle from my husband for Christmas and absolutely love it. However, we traveled to Alabama the first week of January and I was frustrated trying to keep my Kindle in good condition since it has no cover of its own. I ended up storing it in a ski hat I wasn't using. It worked great, except that the lint from the hat had to be removed every time I went to read my Kindle.

I was rearranging some old books on a bookshelf when it struck me: why couldn't I make a Kindle cover out of an old book?

I remembered my uncle used to cut the middle of the stack of pages out as a child to hide things in. When the book was closed, the compartment was undetectable. Then I started checking online for tutorials on how to do something similar. These are the ones I discovered, and the best part is that they cost $10 or less to construct:

Come Together Kids has a great no-sew tutorial for someone like me, who wields a mean glue gun but couldn't sew to save my own life.


If you can't stand the thought of tearing apart an old book, here is another one from C.E. Grundler that is super-cute and uses a placemat instead of an old book. That toile fabric is simply adorable, but they also have another tutorial using duct tape if you want to save even more money.





Are you ready for this? Shelterness has 15 really adorable Kindle cover projects, including one that uses a cut out book like I was going to do. Of course, now that I've seen all the possibilities, I'm not sure which one I'm going to make. Warning: some of these require sewing skills and a sewing machine.

Will it be this one?


or this?

this?

or this one?


No comments:

Post a Comment